Equity, diversity and inclusion
Throughout its 50-year history, Dancers’ Career Development (DCD) has been committed to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. DCD, led by an engaged Board of Trustees and Executive Leadership, has worked hard to ensure the programmes and activities we deliver are inclusive to all.
We recognise there is much more to do.
EDI is a leading factor in everything that we do. Our programmes, behaviours and ways of working demonstrate this. We embrace an accelerated and holistic approach and value the innovation and creativity this brings.
We draw on the rich diversity of dance artists we work with and serve. We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view which fuel our discoveries and ideas, ensuring that our programmes and activities are relevant to all dance artists.
DCD has a truly inclusive organisational culture, providing a safe working environment for employees and for those who come into contact with us. We continue to build a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce.
We must deliver enduring change, grounded in the experience of all dancers, staff, trustees, committee members and all those we work with.
We welcome feedback and questions about the role we play in tackling all aspects of EDI in society. We believe we should be held to account by those we support, fund and are funded by. We aim to build on our EDI commitments through actions that make a meaningful difference.
We recognise this is an ongoing journey. We will continue to invest to move DCD and the dance sector forward.
Action DCD will take in 2024:
- We will recruit a new cohort of dancers to join our EDI Working Group.
- We will analyse all data DCD holds on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion to identify areas for action and improvement.
- We will review and improve all policies of recruitment, retention and employment of staff to create a more diverse workforce through targeted actions.
- Access to and awareness of DCD’s support programmes for professional dancers across all protected characteristics needs to improve through targeted actions including engaging with diverse dance companies and organisations in the UK.
- DCD will publish an Equity, Diversity and Inclusion action plan for 2024-2025.
- DCD will publish a progress update on this action plan.
Action DCD has taken:
- Founded an Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Working Group. This Working Group meets quarterly since 2022 and reports directly to the Board of Trustees. Meet our Working Group members here.
- DCD is a female-led organisation.
- DCD has improved the diversity represented on our Board and Grants Committee to be more reflective of society and the dance community we serve. Meet our Trustees and Committee members here.
- All DCD career development programmes are open to all professional dancers nationwide, regardless of background or dance genre. Financial support is awarded based on funding available and eligibility criteria, which are regularly reviewed.
- DCD Trustee Ingrid MackInnon has been appointed as the DCD Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Board Champion.
- We have ongoing Equity, Diversity and Inclusion training for all staff, Trustees and Committee members, as well as all freelancers who work with us.
Originally published: February 2021. Updated: January 2024.