Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
Throughout its 48-year history, Dancers’ Career Development (DCD) has been committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion. DCD, led by an engaged Board of Trustee/Directors and Executive Leadership, has worked hard to ensure the programmes and activities we deliver are inclusive to all.
We recognise there is much more to do.
We want EDI to be a leading factor in everything that we do. Our programmes, behaviours and ways of working will demonstrate this. We embrace an accelerated and holistic approach and value the innovation and creativity this will bring.
We will draw on the rich diversity of dance artists we work with and serve. We will celebrate multiple approaches and points of view which will fuel our discoveries and ideas, ensuring that our programmes and activities are relevant to all dance artists.
DCD will have a truly inclusive organisational culture. We will build a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce, providing a safe working environment for all employees and for all those who come into contact with us.
We must deliver enduring change, grounded in the experience of all dancers, staff, trustees, committee members and all those we work with.
We welcome feedback and questions about the role we play in tackling all aspects of EDI in society. We believe we should be held to account by those we support, fund and are funded by. We aim to build on EDI commitments through actions that make a meaningful difference.
We recognise this is an ongoing journey. We will continue to invest to move DCD and the dance sector forward.
Action DCD will take in 2021:
- Diversity in board and grants committee recruitment is a priority.
- We will analyse all data DCD holds on Equality, Diversity and Inclusion to identify areas for action and improvement.
- We will review and improve all policies of recruitment, retention and employment of staff to create a more diverse workforce through targeted actions.
- Access to and awareness of DCD’s support programmes for professional dancers across all protected characteristics needs to improve through targeted actions including engaging with diverse dance companies and organisations in the UK.
- DCD will publish an Equality, Diversity and Inclusion action plan for 2021-2023.
- DCD will set up an Equality, Diversity and Inclusion working group, including representatives from DCD staff, trustees, committee members, dancers and DCD Alumni. Feedback from the working group will be brought to the DCD Board quarterly.
Action DCD has taken around Equality, Diversity and Inclusion:
- DCD is a female-led organisation.
- 24% of total staff, trustees and grant committee members identify as LGTBQ
- All DCD career development programmes are, or will soon be, open to all professional dancers nationwide, regardless of background or professional dance genre. Financial support is awarded based on funding available and eligibility criteria, which are regularly reviewed.
- DCD has engaged Dr Maxine Room CBE, a specialist Equality and Diversity consultant to assist the organisation in developing and embedding EDI best practice in every area of the charity.
- DCD Trustee Rob Alexander has been appointed as the DCD Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Board Champion.
- We will continue ongoing Equality, Diversity and Inclusion training for all staff, Trustees and Committee members, as well as all freelancers who work with us.