SHIFT is an exciting new career exploration opportunity for Hip Hop Artists funded by ZooNation: The Kate Prince Company and Dancers’ Career Development.
Apply by 5pm Monday 20th September 2021
Image credit: ‘Some Like It Hip Hop’, ZooNation: The Kate Prince Company, taken by Johan Perrson
ZooNation: The Kate Prince Company (ZooNation) and Dancers’ Career Development (DCD) have come together to provide a paid opportunity for freelance Hip Hop dancers who wish to explore different career options beyond the stage. Successful applicants will gain financial assistance, mentoring and coaching towards exploring options to support their career beyond the stage.
Criteria for applicants
All applicants must have at least 6 years’ experience of performing Hip Hop work in a professional and paid capacity within the UK. Applicants must demonstrate that they have been professionally contracted as a Hip Hop dancer consistently for at least a period of 6 years. Teaching experience will be recognised but the onus for applicant is to demonstrate (through their CV) that they have been primarily employed as a dancer (across a variety of context including, but not limited to, stage, tv, film, festivals, exhibition battles and wins etc…) in a performance capacity.
We are not inviting applications from Hip Hop dance artists wishing to develop their artistic work/choreographic skills. This is not an artist development scheme.
This programme is for Hip Hop artists wishing to invest time on personal development, work with a mentor and explore a different career.
We welcome applications that reflect the diversity of society especially individuals currently underrepresented in the arts.
For this opportunity ZooNation and Dancers’ Career Development will be prioritising applications from:
- Dancers identifying as female
- Dancers who have experienced racism as a barrier to their professional development
Successful applicants will:
- Receive a grant of up to £2000 to be used towards retraining or exploring a different career
- Attend a group coaching session led by DCD Director of Coaching Isabel Mortimer designed to offer the dancers a safe space to reflect on their career journeys to date and take positive action moving forward.
- Be part of a DCD’s Beyond Dance Mentoring Programme, powered by Moving Ahead, designed to give dance artists the opportunity to create connections and networks outside of the dance sector.
- Be invited to attend DCD’s REACH Ambassador programme for a year.
As this is a new pilot programme for ZooNation and DCD, we know there will be questions which we hope will be answered in these Frequently Asked Questions. If you have any other questions relating to SHIFT please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
5pm Monday 20th September 2021
How to Apply
You will need to submit the following:
- A completed application form – please click here to access the online application form
- A copy of your dance performance CV
- A completed budget using this template – please click here to download the budget template
Please submit your application form and the documents listed above by 5pm Monday 20th September 2021.